Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, June 18, 2010

breakfast cookies, yes there is such a thing


The other day I was looking around for a recipe that would use up some of the extra items that we have in our pantry. I'm not sure how many opened up food items we will be allowed to put on the moving truck, so I thought to myself, better to use up those items than waste them. I was looking around for some kind of breakfast bar type thing that I could send off with my Super Man who is on assignment this week and then I remembered this delicious recipe that my best friend's mom had given me years ago....it's called Breakfast Cookies. I mean how can you even have a bad day when you get to eat cookies for breakfast? I mean really!
So I made up a batch of these delicious cookies, packaged them up for him and his co-worker and kept a few for myself.
Here's the recipe if you wish to try them out.

Linda's Breakfast Cookies (adapted):

  • 1 cup of softened butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (give or take)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar (give or take)
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots *
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried prunes *
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried or fresh apples *
  • 1/2 cup raisins *
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In one bowl beat with an electric mixer the softened butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs.

In a second bowl combine the flour, rolled oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir well.

In a third bowl mix the fruit, nuts and coconut together.

Using your mixer or a large spoon begin to add the flour and fruit mixture to the butter mixture in small portions. Continue to add the dry ingredients until everything is nicely combined. Drop large table spoons of the cookie mix onto prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden.

Enjoy first thing in the morning.....or whenever you like them!

* you can substitute different types of fruit or just add more of something that you like. Other fruit ideas would be dried cranberries, dried cherries, dates....

1 comment:

Oh goody....I love comments!