Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, May 2, 2014

two roads project


Mornings

Johanna (left): Mornings around here are a blur. I am just not a morning person (unless I received enough sleep the night before, which rarely seems to happen). Mornings are sleepy eyes and cuddles on the couch. Mornings are comfy jammies from the night before. 
Mornings are busy. Mornings are my kid's most energetic time of day (well actually, they are pretty energetic all day!). Mornings are hit the floor running for Noah and Katia, and drag my feet for me. 
Mornings are cartoons on in the back ground, and one last adult conversation before hubby heads out the door. 
Mornings are cups of milk and peanut butter and jam on toast (cut into strips if you care). Mornings are strong cups of coffee, made in my Bodem, a little luxury that gets me through my morning and into the afternoon. 

Sarah (right): Five days a week, our mornings are geared towards an apex, a culminating act: getting Abby to school on time. Rain or shine, snow or sleet, I strap Summer onto my chest, plop Hailey and Robin into the stroller, attach the leash to Skylar's collar and hold Abby's hand as we walk down the street to school. Does that make me sound more like an octopus than a human? It certainly feels that way most mornings! We eat breakfast by 8:00, dress by 8:30 and start getting into outdoor gear. I am really looking forward to the day that means hats, sunglasses and sandals. Then at quarter to nine, we're all out the door. Today, it was a rainy walk. A puddle-jumping, hair-frizzing foray into the mist. I complain about the rainy days, but the way we feel so cozy and bundled together is actually kind of special.

The well-known poem by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken ends, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Two women, who became friends via the magic of the Internet, were both living life on roads less traveled by. Circumstance had them both live in Whitehorse for a short time, where they became best friends. Life's map has them currently in differing geographic locations, but their connection and camaraderie continue as they continue on paths of motherhood, friendship, creativity and discovery. The Two Roads Project is our effort to reconnect with each other and our inner artists on a weekly basis, each Friday. (Or thereabouts. We don't always know which day of the week it is).
Sarah writes here

1 comment:

  1. Great new banner images Johanna! Love the color! Glad that other people are having manic mornings also! It seems to be the time of day when everything happens at once, and I don't even have to worry about getting the little babe off to school.

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!