Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

good night, sweet dreams











Our night time routine is pretty straight forward. It isn't out of the ordinary, but when it goes well, I do think it must be my most favourite time of day.
After dinner we do a bit of play or sometimes we watch a very quick kid's show. Then it is either bath time (every other day) or wash up time. Jammies get picked out and put on (for both little ones) and then teeth get brushed.
We then get into Noah's bed (Katia, Noah and I) and read a book. For the past few weeks now, Noah picks the same book each time. It's always, Where The Wild Things Are. Katia sits on my lap while we read and Noah helps me recite his favourite parts. He points out which monsters he likes and doesn't like and we discuss in depth why Max (the main character) was sent to his room by his mother.
After Noah's book is read, we then read a baby book to Katia. The book we've been reading to her lately was one of Noah's favourites when he was a baby. Oh my, it takes me back to when Noah was baby. Sniff... I miss those days.
After our books are read I get Katia into the ergo carrier with her favourite blankie and soo soo, and then I tuck Noah into bed. I usually pace around his room a bit with Katia in the carrier while I sing some of their favourite night time songs. We have a few songs that we like to sing and I just love that that's part of our night time routine.
And then, if I'm a lucky mama, I slip out of Noah's room and go and have some time to myself (with Katia asleep in the carrier). Sometimes Noah asks for me, and usually I call from the other room to tell him that I am doing something. I think he just likes to hear that I am not too far away.
Night time is such a special time. I really enjoy our little rituals such as reading together and singing. I also quite enjoy the time that I get to myself after they both fall asleep.
To leave you, I will share my favourite lullaby. My mama sang it to me when I was a little one, and I enjoy singing it to them. I think my sister Katie sings it to her little girl too.
xox 


Hushaby, don't you cry
Go to sleepy little baby
When you wake, you shall have
All the lovely little horses 
Dapples and greys, pintos and beys 
All the lovely little horses


Way down yonder, in the meadow
Poor little baby cryin' mama
The birds and the butterflies 
Flutter round (his/her) eyes
Poor little baby cryin' mama 

Hushaby, don't you cry
Go to sleepy little baby
When you wake, you shall have
All the lovely little horses 
Dapples and greys, pintos and beys 
All the lovely little horses



1 comment:

Oh goody....I love comments!