Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

summer adventures







12:30 AM







You know it's summer when you take off on a spontaneous overnight camping trip with good friends, and on Sunday night, that's just what we did.
My good friend Leanne called me up Sunday afternoon and did her best to convince me that we should take off for the night to a nearby lake. I was hesitant at first. We had lot's to do in the home, I was feeling pretty tired and my jammies and a good t.v. show were calling my name. But when I mentioned it to Winslow and saw his pleading eyes look back at me, I knew that we needed to go. What t.v.? Who cares! The great outdoors, a roaring camp fire and a beautiful lake were calling our names!
We arrived at 8pm and to most this would have been too late to set up a tent, but not for us here in the Yukon, as it stays light until after midnight. A camp fire was set up in minutes and the folding chairs and beer were cracked out (non-alcoholic for me). The kids huddled around the fire in many layers, it was windy and cold. It may be June here, but it was pretty darn cold. The plus side to it being cold and windy? No mosquitos!
Our camp ground was situated on the beautiful Lake Kusawa. An apparent 60km glacier water lake. Mountains surrounded the lake and we were lucky enough to have the entire naturally white sandy beach all to ourselves. No one else was there that night, just us, and really I felt like one of the luckiest people out there. There are no adequate words that can describe the beauty of this place, this little piece of paradise only 45min from our home, but Winslow and I kept asking each other, "aren't we so lucky to have this here for us to enjoy?".
Some of the most memorable parts of our quick overnight trip were, all of us sitting around the campfire, enjoying smores and just talking. Also when the children were playing by the water shore, throwing stones into the cold lake. The walk Leanne and I took with the kids along the beach. The campfire breakfast of pancakes, eggs, bacon and tea. All of it was pretty amazing, it's nice knowing that the memories we made will be ones that Noah, Evey and Sunny will remember someday.
Our trip was short but just what we needed to recharge ourselves and connect again with each other. It made me realize just how lucky I am to be here in this beautiful part of my country and reminded me that I need to take advantage of every opportunity that I have to get out and explore this place I call home.
So here's to the summer. May adventure be waiting for all of us around the corner!
xox

4 comments:

  1. Nothing says summertime in Canada like a camp-out, and some s'mores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So beautiful, Johanna. I'm so impressed with folks who camp with littles. Glad you got out!
    P.S. Love you headband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful. Everything is beautiful and I can tell that you are surrounded by love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a wonderful time! It's so beautiful up there!

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!