Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, June 26, 2011

down time







After a busy weekend I am craving some quiet and down time. It's no secret that I enjoy a full and busy social life, but every now and then, I just need some slowness and quiet. Do you know what I mean? No engagements, no obligations, no places to be at a specific time.
Today I am declaring it as a free day, a day to do what ever we wish on our own time schedule. I have one appointment (a prenatal appointment, so I am excited for that) and then the rest of the day is an open ended book. There are a few things that I would like to do, like give Noah the bath that he missed out on last night, read some stories with Noey, and make some applesauce muffins (my new fav!), but those are all fun things and I don't mind doing them at all.
Lately I've been slowly moving into a creative faze. I spent some time last week down in my craft space (which is totally non functional by the way) just organizing and finding things. It took me over an hour to find my paint brushes, but it felt good to dig through my art supplies and see what I have. I then set up my watercolours and began to paint, something I hadn't done since last autumn. I'm still in the process of working on this painting, but man did it feel good, just to get some colour down and feel the flow of my tiny paint brush on the bumpy watercolour papaer. I'm in love with art. It's true. It's an on going love affair, one that comes and goes but never really stays away for too long.
Yesterday I felt home sick for much of the day. I thought of my sisters and their kids and I thought of my mom who lives over 7ooo km away from me. I decided to call her up and we talked for about an hour as I prepared dinner. I talked a lot about my craft ideas, birthday party plans for Noah and how I hope my next labour and birth will go differently than Noah's. All things on my mind and things only my mom would really care to hear about. It was so nice to hear her voice and it was so nice to be heard by her. I felt like we were sitting down together at my kitchen table, talking over tea. I miss my family so much sometimes. It makes me realize that even though I love it here and am making the most of every day and ever opportunity that I have here, I still belong back East. Someday it will happen.
And that is about it for now dear friends. Just one of those days where I think I am needing to listen to my inner self. I need to slow down and be extra nice to myself if you know what I mean. Now off to do some nurturing things, like take photos and bake and hang out outside with my little one.
All my best to you. I hope summer is finding it's way into your days.
xox

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry you are feeling homesick! I get certain-people-sick sometimes, where I just wish I could see them and mingle souls with them so badly. Lucky we have phones and email!
    Funny you should mention painting, I am getting urges to pick up my paint brushes again after quite a long break and am really looking forward to getting creative before Rafael's arrival, when everything will revolve around being a mom.
    Let's enjoy these summer months!
    xoxo Dawn
    P.S. So excited to hear if you're having a boy or a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that homesick feeling too. I get it nearly every day, in some way, shape or form.

    Looks like you've been enjoying lots of fun. The proof is in the freckles ;) That Popsicle looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!