Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

a Yukon moment


I've been meaning to update my blog with a few Yukon moment stories for a while now. Over the past 7 months that we've been here, I've had these moments that to me will always be engrained in my memory as "Yukon Moments".
For example, one notable memory was the time that we were up at the cabin in Kluane National Park and we brushed out teeth outside in the blowing snow with snow. That's right, not with water but with snow.
Another Yukon moment was more recently when we went to watch the beginning of the Yukon Quest. The whole town was out for this fun event and I just couldn't help but think that it was such an authentic moment, that this would not happen anywhere else.
There have also been the funny incidents where I reach into my diaper bag to pull out some wipes, only to find out that they are frozen solid because I left the diaper bag in the car too long. Yes, it can get quite cold here.
And then there was today. A frigid cold day where I looked out my window only to see what looked like a really bright rainbow. I thought to myself, could this be it? Could this really be a sun dog? And yes, upon going outside in my bright blue Grover coloured housecoat for closer inspection, it was a sundog! What's a sundog you ask? I'll leave it to Wikipedia to answer that one. A scientist I am not! But I did get a pretty good picture of it I think. Oh and yes, that is a police cruiser outside my door. Yup, we really are a police family!

4 comments:

  1. Oh it's gorgeous! What a great capture! I've never seen a full one with the part across the top before. We have them here too. I've only seen them on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh neat!! :D So glad you captured this moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic photo! Even the police car in the driveway with the snow glistening around it....is very Yukon-ish. Unless we get posted to a different province, we likely won't ever park an RCMP car in our driveway like this....

    Your moments are all very special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sundog! I'll be honest, I didn't even know that's what it was called.
    Oh, and the brushing your teeth out in the snow, just gives me chills thinking about it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!