Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, December 29, 2019

nurture



The holidays are nearing the end, and after a rich month, full of parties and celebrations, I am ready to clear out the clutter, simplify after all the excess, and find focus once again. 
I love the holidays, especially Christmas, but I'd be lying if I didn't mention how exhausting the month of December can be to a mama of three- oh and add in a birthday and a trip to Ottawa for good measure! 
December is lovely, but I often feel like I am running a marathon, all on my own, to make it magical and special for everyone. It's exhausting. A good and fulfilling kind of exhausting, but exhausting none the less. 
So here we are, just on the other side of Christmas. As I write this, I am in bed, in a Best Western hotel in Edmunston NB. We are on our way back to NS, after a trip home to Ottawa. We saw our loved ones, ate so many treats, the kids were spoiled with gifts, and we had the opportunity to visit with friends. It was busy and whirlwind, and now we feel ready to return to life and routine. 
This time of year always has me feel renewed and ready to prioritize. I feel a sense of focus and a desire to turn my energy towards intentions. I seek clarity, focus and to lessen the distractions. 
Each year at this time of year, I start to look inwards for a motivational word that will help guide me forward into the New Year. In previous years, I chose words such as: Peace, Adventure, and Quiet. Last year I chose the word Focus and upon looking back at 2019, I can see that the word Focus and 2019 really went hand in hand. Last year was a great year for me in terms of growth in my photography. I led a workshop called, Heart+Hand Creative Workshop and also was a guest speaker at the Sackville Photography Club. I love how the word that I chose really helped to guide me towards some goals that I am very proud of. 
And so here we are, on the cusp of a new year and decade, and I am feeling the pull more and more to live a true and authentic life. As I get older, I feel the need less to participate in all the bull shit that society tells me that I need to do. I've learned a lot over the last few years.  Saying no is good for me,  I don't have to colour my hair, that I don't owe apologies and explanations to people for the decisions I make for myself, that the shape of my body is beautiful and doesn't need to be hidden. I have learned to be proud of my talents. That I am unique and can bring a lot to the table. That my happiness, creativity, sense of self all depend on how I take care of myself. This year I will be focusing on nurturing my self. This year's word will be Nurture.
I'm ready to put the focus on nurturing all aspects of myself. My creative self, my mental and physical health. Some of the ways I plan on nurturing myself are to, carve out chunks of time - just for creating. Practicing drawing once again. Make time for walks in nature. Prepare healthy and healing food , and to find time for quiet and reflection. 

If you like participating in this practice, feel free to share your words with me and the meaning behind them. I love hearing about what others choose. 
Happy New Year dear friends! 
xox 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh goody....I love comments!