Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, October 6, 2017

autumn blessings












Wow, it's hard  to believe that September came and went so quickly. I feel like I spent much of the month, finding our footing and getting ourselves back into a good routine.
In September, school started, storytime at the library resumed, early mornings, packed lunches and early bedtimes all started up again. After much contemplation, we signed the kids up for some extra curricular activities. Katia is in dance class, and loves it. Noah is doing x-country (just for the Fall), basketball and Cubs. I was very hesitant about adding too much to our already busy lives, and wanted to make sure that the kids had a balance of free time too. While Noah is doing quite a bit it seems, we are watching closely to make sure the he is enjoying himself and not over doing it.
The end of the September brings my birthday, and this year I felt really good about accepting my day. I feel at a good place in my life. I feel like I am finally being honest with myself and FINALLY giving myself the care that I have been so good at giving everyone else. Why did it take me this long, I'm not sure, but here I am. Being kinder  to myself, more patient with myself, and in turn, kinder and patient with the ones I love. A good birthday gift to give myself, I'd say.
I always think September will feel like our Nova Scotia anniversary. While we in fact arrived in August of 2015, it really was September, where I felt like we planted our feet. I remember, Noah starting grade 1 at KCA, and thinking it was such a BIG school. I remember my little Katia, still 3 years old! starting at preschool. And here we are, 2 years later. It's been 2 years of being here in Nova Scotia and I have to say, I finally feel settled. There's been some rocky parts. Some big life changes (hello baby Wesley!) and more, but I can finally say that I feel good here now. I feel grounded. I feel like we belong here.
Autumn is here and one of my most favourite holidays is this weekend, Thanksgiving. I really love Thanksgiving because it's purpose and meaning is probably the least commercial of all the holidays. It's to simply, give thanks. There are no big fancy gifts to purchase and give. There's no pressure to spend months building it up. There's no high expectations from little ones (all they care for is pie!). To me, it's simple and pure.
This year, we plan to visit some new RCMP friends for brunch on Sat. Then we head to our other RCMP friends in Bridgewater for Sunday dinner. On Monday we will have our own small Thanksgiving dinner at our home. I am very aware that these visits can only happen, with the fortune of us all being in good health. For the last 2 years, we have been repeatedly sick come Fall, and this year, we seem (knock on wood) to be doing very well. I'm so thankful for this.
And so I leave off with a few photos from our time at the Kentville Harvest Festival (and some other random ones). I still can't believe our luck, that we chose to live in a town that is centered around the harvest season! Our town mascot is a Pumpkin Person. The town puts on Pumpkin People displays for the month of October. We have a Harvest Highway. We have pumpkin patches, corn mazes and more! It's seriously heaven on earth for anyone who is an Autumn freak like me!
There has been much sadness in the world as of late, and I know that it can feel so overwhelming at times. While on one hand, I want and believe that we should all speak up and be involved, I also feel that it's ok to protect one's heart and mind from such sadness all the time. I saw a quote that said, we do not have to personally take on all of the hardships of the world. We do not have to take on all the grief either. I think it's important to be gentle and kind with ourselves too.
So happy Autumn and Happy Thanksgiving. Let's take a moment to give thanks for even the most small and simple of blessings. xox


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh goody....I love comments!