Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, November 27, 2014

winter days: nesting, crafting, cozying up


















We are well into winter here.
This past week, gave us cold temperatures of - 30. It was the type of weather, where we could not get out for our daily walks,so instead we stayed in, played, listened to Christmas music, read our Winter books, and tidied the house. When we did get out of the house, we made our way over to the Community Club via truck (it was way too cold to walk), and spent time there, visiting with friends, cooking lunch and crafting. I'm glad that we have the Club when the days are so darn cold. It gives us a place to go.
Right now I have crafting and Christmas on my mind. With us being so far from family, and not near any stores, we really have to think ahead and get our crafting done soon.
I've been making my list, planning out my baking, and am trying to get the kids to make a bunch of gifts to send to our far away family.
Our Christmas lights are up, and next week (hoping the weather isn't too cold), we will go out into the bush to cut down our very own little Yukon tree.
For some reason, time seems to be just speeding along for me. The month of December is full of activities, and deep down, I feel this sense of rush and loss of time. I just want to slow down and find quiet, deliberate moments in the month of December.
And speaking of deliberate, I haven't been to church in such a long time.  I do feel like it is a missing piece of the puzzle for me. Church gives me such a feeling of peace and calm. My church in Whitehorse was the first church I had ever truly felt comfortable and accepted at, and I miss it there, especially during this Advent season. But for now, I will just have to look for ways to feed that part of my mental/spiritual health.
I came across one of those pictures that gets shared around Facebook, but this one actually stuck with me. It was about Self Care, and how we truly need  to be our own advocates. Here it is in point form.

If it feels wrong, don't do it. Say exactly what you mean. Don't be a people pleaser. Trust your instincts. Never speak badly about yourself. Never give up one your dreams. Don't be afraid to say "no". Don't be afraid to say "yes". Be kind to yourself. Let go of what you can't control. Stay away from drama and negativity. LOVE. 

Something to try to do more of.
Happy winter days dear friends.
xox

2 comments:

  1. We enjoy reading several of those books at our house too! All of the "Bear" books are great - we just bought Bear Snores On. The illustration are so soft, warm, and beautiful. I didn't know that there was a sequel to Old Bear and Little Cub! I will have to look for that. And my little babe just received a boxed set of Jan Brett's books and I have read The Mitten multiple times a day for the past two weeks! Glad that you guys are keeping creative and busy. Love that picture of the candles. Your own little "red fox" Ryder is looking happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!