Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

our boy is 5












 Our beautiful boy turned 5 today, and it was a day full of celebration, so that he would feel special.
His day started with our tradition of birthday gifts at the breakfast table. He was so excited to see that we had decorated the dining room while he was asleep, and later asked us, how did you do that? I told him it was a secret (it's what us parents do, dear Noah).
I lit his little birthday celebration ring, and he blew it out right away. A yummy breakfast of pumpkin waffles and bacon was enjoyed, and Noah played with his toys for the rest of the morning.
This year, Noah has shown a great interest in Science, and so he asked for a water scope and a microscope. I scouted out different types of these types online, looking for the perfect types that could be used by a younger child, yet still function as the real deal. I am pretty happy with the ones we chose.
Then we went down to the lake to try out Noah's new water scope. It is a nice 15km drive to the lake, and we often go there, just to get out of town! Ha! I love how Snag campground has become our little escape.
After the lake, we went for lunch at our one and only restaurant. Even though it can get tiring having only one restaurant (meaning limited "American" food), I am thankful that we have it, because it is nice to go there and feel sort of like normal people. The food is good, homestyle food, and the kids love going there for a treat.
After lunch, it was time to go home and get ready for our boy's party. This year Noah is in love with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Yes, I cringe at typing this, but at the same time, I find a kind of satisfaction in treating him to what he truly likes. It's about him, and I want him to be happy... so some typical trademark party decorations, a homemade "turtle" cake, some fun games and there you have it, a ninja turtle party- just for my boy.
At night, once things were cleaned up, bath and jammies had happened, and baby sister had fallen asleep, Noah, Daddy and I pulled out his baby books and looked at them together. He loved seeing who had been there when he was born, and kept saying how cute he was. Yes, my boy, you were some cute.
I look back on Noah's baby days with such fondness. It was such a special time for him and I to bond, and really he was such a sweet and attached baby. I remember questioning this attachment when he was a baby, will he be too spoiled if I hold him all the time? But at some point in his first year, a light bulb went on and I realized that him and I needed that attachment. That we needed that closeness. That it was so detrimental to his well being, happiness and development ... and that I loved it.
Fast forward to 5 years, and I am seeing glimpses of him growing up and letting go. It has been a bit hard on this mama's heart of mine. But as my good friend Sarah reminded me, he needs to do this, and I, as his mother, am here to let him and help him grow up.
So happy birthday to my beautiful , sweet, caring, funny boy. Life is truly a gift, and we are so blessed to have the gift of YOU. We love you so much.
xox 

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I'm tearing up, what love comes across in this post! Five years of being a mama and you're doing SO awesome. And happy birthday noah!

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!