Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, April 18, 2014

two roads project



Sarah (right): 10 Things Readers May or May Not Know About Me
1- I try to heal most ailments myself: Case in point, I am currently fighting a flu bug. I am treating myself with magnesium detox baths, immunity-boosting smoothies (lemons, ginger, carrot juice, honey), sleep, liquids and Advil for when the fever symptoms take over. My kids get a spoonful of honey as cough syrup and would have to be pretty sick to be taken to the doctor. I just like at-home remedies more than I like the cesspool of infection in doctor waiting rooms.
2- I have gone scuba diving with sharks. 
3- I have seen a positive pregnancy test six times.
4- I met Rich at a new year's keg party in high school. We have never broken up, nor had relationships with anyone else. 
5- Grilled cheese is probably my favourite food ever. I remember the thrill of ordering it in restaurants as a child, eager to see how it would come out. Still do, really.
6- I followed the Yukon Quest sled-dog race as a reporter my first winter up North. It changed my view of the Yukon, and shaped my time there.
7- I am snarky and sarcastic when defensive.
8- I have a hard time making new friends. But when I do, you're in for life.
9- I wake up early almost every morning to write freehand, stream-of-consciousness style. It helps clear my head, figure out what I really feel about issues in my life, and start the day with some creative me time.
10- I've met celebrities Sam Roberts and Elizabeth Gilbert.

Johanna (left): 10 Things Readers May or May Not Know About Me
1. Growing up, my mother told me that we had gypsy blood in us. I think this is why I like adventure, road trips and to travel. If I don't keep moving, I feel trapped. 
2. I am a complete political junkie. I grew up in the nation's capital and enjoy following politics, just as some might enjoy following celebrities.
3. I am happiest when I am near the ocean.
4. I've lived in 5 provinces/territories in Canada. I've traveled to 9 of them. 
5. I'm so not a morning person.
6. I am part extrovert and part introvert and need both types of socialization equally. 
7. I like movies and books that make me happy. Not ones that leave me depressed or scared or with nightmares. You've Got Mail is still one of my favourite flicks. 
8. Coffee in the morning. Tea in the afternoon. Wine in the evening. 
9. I go to church. I have many questions about faith in general and am not sure where I stand on the religion scale, but I love the peace and clarity that I get from quieting my mind and from being around like minded individuals. 
10. I chose out my baby names when I was 16. Yes, I am that kind of person. I still have a few more names chosen, just in case we need them ;) 


The well-known poem by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken ends, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Two women, who became friends via the magic of the Internet, were both living life on roads less traveled by. Circumstance had them both live in Whitehorse for a short time, where they became best friends. Life's map has them currently in differing geographic locations, but their connection and camaraderie continue as they continue on paths of motherhood, friendship, creativity and discovery. The Two Roads Project is our effort to reconnect with each other and our inner artists on a weekly basis, each Friday. (Or thereabouts. We don't always know which day of the week it is).
Sarah writes here

2 comments:

  1. Sarah - I'm with you on number 1. Doctor's offices just freak me out with all of the germs. I only go when it is something dire. Johanna - I agree with number 7. While I do watch serious movies based on actual events, I do not like scary movies. The world is scary enough, why do you need to watch horror movies? I'm probably one of the only kids who grew up in the 80's and didn't watch the "Freddy" movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I loved this post! We have a lot in common, you and I. xo

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!