Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, April 5, 2014

two roads project



throwback

Johanna (left): The power of a friendship that goes back some thirty years. This is something that I don't take for granted or lightly. I am blessed to have someone who has known me every step of the way and who has shown me love throughout those years. 
This was taken on an Easter weekend, sometime in the early 80s. Hanging out in the back yard with some rickety old play structure. We are happy to play outside for hours. 
Sarah (right): I had fun looking back through old family photos this week. I have happy memories of a childhood spent bossing my younger siblings around, taking dance classes, being dramatic and forging friendships that continue today. Remembering moments captured on film encourages me to romanticize a little, recalling funny stories, idyllic vacations, picturesque Christmases. Of course, there were sad moments, and we didn't take pictures of those. But remembering the summer I played house league soccer and the dress up games we played in the basement conjures familiar feelings of comfort, happiness and a sense of belonging. Knowing where I came from is such a helpful tool in helping me navigate where I'm going. Here, I am nine years old, posing proudly with my new baby sister and probably right about to roll my eyes at my annoying little brother. This is pre-braces, I was growing my bangs out, and was a tall, lanky thing. We're all in our jammies, as we called our pyjamas. And check out that steel contraption of a baby swing! I keep this particular picture in a stolen frame (from a now defunct Ottawa bar) in my kitchen cabinet, so I can check in on it and smile every once in awhile.

The well-known poem by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken ends, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Two women, who became friends via the magic of the Internet, were both living life on roads less traveled by. Circumstance had them both live in Whitehorse for a short time, where they became best friends. Life's map has them currently in differing geographic locations, but their connection and camaraderie continue as they continue on paths of motherhood, friendship, creativity and discovery. The Two Roads Project is our effort to reconnect with each other and our inner artists on a weekly basis, each Friday. (Or thereabouts. We don't always know which day of the week it is).
Sarah writes here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh goody....I love comments!