Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

sunshine feels good


 Katia spotting a "beeboo" (bird)
 beautiful McIntyre Creek



 Noah's best friend, Sinclair the cat











Walks in the woods and down to the creek, trips to the park, bike riding, visits with neighbourhood cats (this is seriously the kids' most favourite part of the day) sidewalk chalk drawing, bubbles. Spring is here and we are drinking it in! The smells, the feel of sunshine seeping into our skin. We've been outside for much of the last few days and it feels great.
Today I was listening to an interview with David Suzuki on Q (with Jian Ghomeshi). They were talking about this lack of connection that we as a society have with nature. How we feel the need to fill our children's days up with activities, so that they never feel bored, but in turn by not letting them get bored we are doing damage to them. If children don't have the time to be bored, they don't learn to fulfill their own needs, they will have less opportunity to explore their world, less chances to problem solve ect.
It felt good to listen to the birds and squirrels chitter away today. They are just  as excited as we are about the arrival of Spring. It was nice to wander around the forest just behind our house. The smell of dried pine needles was so delicious. It was nice to see Noah and Katia explore the forest floor. This evening we had a campfire in our back yard, the first of the season. I smell of camp fire and I like it.
Spring is such a welcome and needed change from the long winter that we had. These days I am still finding it a struggle to find energy, happiness and joy. It's been a hard few months, but I am trying to do things to make myself happier. Exercise, outdoor time, grace and forgiveness, simplifying.
A few happy things to end the day with...

:: I have started to knit. I am just beginning with a cowl that will most likely never be worn. I am just making it to practice various stitches. This is not my first time knitting, but I am eager to move on to something other than a scarf or cowl (all I ever did before were scarves and squares). Hats for both of the children are next on my list.

:: This lovely quote. I've seen it many times, but it always resonates with me. Especially when I need a morale boost in the parenting department.

"It is the nature of the child to be dependent, and it is the nature of dependence to be outgrown. Begrudging dependency because it is not independence is like begrudging winter because it is not yet spring. Dependency blossoms into independence in its own time."
--Peggy O'Mara, Editor, Mothering Magazine.

:: Noah and I watched this film together in bed tonight. So so sweet, wholesome, and dear. I wanted to introduce Peter Rabbit to him for a while, and this was just a nice way to do it. We borrowed it from the library.

And that is all for today.
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh goody....I love comments!