Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, May 16, 2013

campfire, baby goats, and Lake Lebarge












Lately things are feeling good. We are spending much of our days outside, running around and mucking about. We go for walks around the neighbourhood, visit the cats down the street, go to the park, wander through the "secret forrest". I've noticed a serious change in my mood since Spring has arrived. It makes perfect sense. We were just cooped up in our house for nearly 6 months straight, with little outside time...it's not good for anyone. 
I'm already beginning to think about how I will do when we move to Beaver Creek. I'm thinking about purchasing a SAD therapy light and I'm happy that our force house will have a treadmill that I can use to get some exercise. I'm also planning for some escapes next winter. Ottawa, Vancouver and somewhere hot ... I think that will help me get through next 2.5 years we have left here in the Yukon. 
Like I said, we've been spending much of our time outside. A campfire in the backyard always turns into a "family campfire night". Bring out some blankets (it's still chilly in the evenings) and get cozy in our Adirondack chairs. I do love this simple tradition and so do the kids. Noah just loves a campfire. 
Yesterday we went on a field trip to a local goat farm with Noah's preschool. It was a good 45 mins out of town and as we drove out of town, I felt such a nice feeling of letting go. It's hard to be worried stressed or sad when the sun is shining on these ancient snow capped mountains. Just starring off at the mountains is so good for the soul. They are much bigger than me. Much bigger than any of my worries. Just so beautiful. 
We arrived at the farm and were welcomed by such gracious hosts, Brian and Susan (they attend our church). The surroundings were gorgeous, the farm is situated next to Lake Lebarge*.
We got to go over and hold 48hrs old baby goats and see them play with each other and be with their mamas. We wandered around the property and saw chickens, the green house, the stables. It was such a treat for our Northern kids, who hardly ever experience what a farm looks like. I thought it was cute how all the boys seemed really interested in the chickens. 
We then headed down to the beach for a picnic lunch. It had threatened rain earlier in the day, but just for us, the sun broke through the dark stormy looking skies (my favourite kind of weather). The children threw rocks and collected rocks. They played and got lost in their surroundings. It was a sweet sight. 
And a quick note about Lake Lebarge. There is a famous poem that many Canadian's know, it's called The Cremation of Sam McGee, written by Robert Service. I remember being in junior high and having to study this poem. I also memorized it for an audition at some point in time. At the time, I was maybe 13 years old and the one thing that stuck out to me in that poem was the location, Lake Lebarge. It seemed like such a far away place, such a real place. Who would've thought, 20 years later, I'd be picnicking there. Taking in the sights. One of those crazy, I can't believe I live here moments. 
xox

The first stanza of the poem: 

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
      By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
      That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
      But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.


      



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh goody....I love comments!