Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, February 28, 2010

who I am in 5 categories


This is a little exercise that the department head from the last school I taught at showed me, and I thought it would be nice to share it with you. It can be used to do brainstorming, list making, categorizing ect. The idea is that often when one is trying to make a piece of art with a theme or come up with ideas for anything for that matter, that it is very easy to get stuck and not have a direction to go in. Much like a writer may use a web to organize their thoughts, tracing your hand is a very visual way to plan, organize and simplify ideas. By tracing your hand you are pushed to come up with at least 5 good ideas (5 fingers) and then you can go from there.
I decided to do a hand with 5 categories that I feel that I fit into.

I chose:
  • artist
  • mother
  • wife
  • friend
  • family
I think this is a great exercise for self reflection. This could also be a great self esteem project with little kids. Have them come up with 5 things that they like about themselves and then decorate their hand to reflect themselves. I'd love to know if you'd use this hand brainstorming method, if you'd find it helpful or fun.
xox

5 comments:

  1. Hi Johanna, this is a great idea and I will be sure to try this with my daughter. I think it's important to get the little ones to think of their positive traits and to foster good self esteem. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vanessa- I'd love to see it if your daughter does one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anything that moves me forward in a creative way, excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!