Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, September 4, 2009

a new mom needs her mom


I wasn't quite sure that I wanted any help when our baby was going to be born. I had thought long and hard about this and decided that I would just want it to be me, Winslow and our new little babe for the first few days when we got home from the hospital. But that was before.
The day after Noah was born my mom walked into the hospital room and as soon as I saw her I just bawled. I hugged her harder than I think I ever had before. My mom had just jumped on the first flight she could get out of PEI and my sister had picked her up at the TO airport.
To have her there meant the world to me. I had just endured 30+ hours of labour and an emergency c-section. I was tired, overwhelemd and scared. Up until my mom showed up I had been playing the "strong one" but once she arrived I could shed the protective armour that I had put on and I could be my true vulnerable self. I felt safe and secure. It was just what I needed.
The following few days my mom and sister became Winslow, Noah and my guardian angels. Delicious and nurturing food was made, hugs were given, tears and laughter were shared and I just don't know what we would've done without them there.
Today we had to say good bye to my mom after two wonderful weeks of quality time spent together. We woke up at 6 am (Noah and I were already up. He was having his breakfast) and we all drove to the train station. We went through mom's suitcases in the parking lot, trying to make her load a little lighter (somethings never change) and then it was time to say our farewells.
Looking back I laugh at myself when I thought that we could do it on our own those first few days. Sure we could've done it if we had to but I have a feeling it wouldn't have been a pretty sight. Not only did my mom and sister help us but more importantly they gave us support and encouragement when we needed it most.
Thanks for being there for us mom (Nana) and Auntie Sarah. We love you.

1 comment:

  1. We love you, too! I had such a great time meeting Noah in his first few days! What a sweet boy!! I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!