Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, May 8, 2009

no garden...window sill will have to do


I just came back from a lovely evening walk. On this walk I couldn't help but notice all the beautiful gardens starting to bloom. Lilacs, tulips, different blooming trees, oh how I wish I had a garden. But for now my window sill will have to do. My friend Victoria has been posting quite a bit about her garden and recently showed us all her little indoor gardening projects, which led me to want to show you one of mine. This is my avocado project. This past winter I bought the most enormous and delicious avocado I think I ever had. And in this avocado was a huge pit, which got me thinking...why don't I see if I can get it to grow. And so for months that pit sat in a little jar with warm murky water, propped up with tooth picks and I waited for a little sprout. Finally after a few months a little root started. I continued to wait until the roots were strong and a small sprout formed. And once that pit was ready to be planted I had my mom who was visiting me show me how to plant it (yes I am that botanically challenged). 
So here is a picture of that little avocado plant doin' it's thang. To be honest, I'm pretty happy with it. Next challenge....basil from seed? I can totally do that!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Johanna. I'm so impressed with your avocado plant! I'm glad to hear it took a few months, hubby has had a little avocado pit of our own sitting in the window and I was beginning to wonder if it was defective!

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!