Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, April 11, 2020

these days












It has snowed twice. We've also had days of warmth, sun and heat. I've been home, so have the kids- except for one grocery shop that went horribly wrong (for me) last week. Picture me, with a small grocery cart, trying to do a large shop. Stuff piled high and falling onto the dirty floor. Me, hot and panicky - forgetting things, heart beating. It wasn't nice. I am therefore only going to send Winslow from now on. He's much better at handling things like this.
Our days have found a rhythm to them. It kinda goes like this. Wake up, coffee and chores. Breakfast, home learning (in our pyjamas - we are true homeschoolers now). Then free time (art, baking, games, play). Lunch, outside, Facetime with friends and family, exercise, T.V. / social media / movies.
Lately I've been getting the kids (one kid at a time), to help me make supper. This only seems to work because Winslow is home from work, and gives attention to Wesley. Noah has made a cake, cinnamon rolls. Katia made spaghetti and caesar salad, roasted garlic chicken and rice. It's been nice to be able to teach these skills to the kids. The gift of this time has been that we can do these things.
We have also been enjoying family suppers together. Usually Winslow isn't home for supper, and now that his schedule has been adjusted (due to COVID), we have had this time together. Very nice :)
What else have we been doing? Walks, lots of yard work (when it's not snowing), decorating our front lawn, puzzles, board games and just lot's of down time.
As for me, I've been finding myself quite tired these days. By 2pm, I really seem to want a nap. Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't nap in the day. I can't shut my mind off. But lately I have been. Naps or just closing my eyes. Two days ago, I sat out on a lawn chair in my backyard and closed my eyes for 10 mins while I listened to all the chattering of the birds. It's lovely.
Other thoughts, if you've followed this blog back from the start, or at least for the last 6 years, you will know that we lived in a very remote community for 2 years in the Yukon. This community had a population of 80, and it was a 2 hrs drive to the closest grocery store, that was in Alaska. Talk about remote. I won't lie. Those years were hard for me. Aside from one set of amazing neighbours (Chrissie and James -who we are still friends with), I suffered from a lack of social support while there. I also battled depression. It was tough. While it was tough, I also learned some important lessons during those years. Things like how to "make do" or how to plan ahead (for groceries, upcoming holidays ect), how to be creative and adaptable. How a walk can count as your daily outing. How calling a friend can be a lifesaver when you are feeling lonely. Many lessons were learned while there.
I continue to think of and feel so much gratitude for our frontline health workers and essential workers. These people are working and sacrificing their health (and their family's health), so that we may have ours. Let's honour and thank them by staying home, and socially distancing.
With love.
xox 



1 comment:

  1. Dear Johanna, My thoughts and prayers are with you all at this terrible time. Betty

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!