Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, June 27, 2014

two roads project :: make



:: make 

Sarah (left): I spent the afternoon carefully arranging the layers of my sister's birthday cake. She is turning 20, entering into the decade most spend "figuring it out," and "finding" themselves. I am so excited for her, and for myself. I will get to witness her growth, and be here cheering her on, with her nieces. When it came to celebrating her big day, I decided to go decadent. I made this Better Than You-Know-What cake, that I pinned from here. I cooked the caramel sauce from scratch, broke the Skor bars in a bag with a hammer, and added confetti sprinkles on the top to make it a real birthday treat. The house smelled amazing while cake cooled, and everyone asked me repeatedly when we could eat it. We ate it around my grandma's dining table, digging in with our forks (and hands, in some cases), licking our lips and leaving hardly a piece for the birthday girl to take home afterwards. 

Johanna (right): This week has been about making summer memories. 
Feeling restless and bored, I decided to come into Whitehorse for a few days, to stay with Leanne and for the kids to have some fun. 
On the way into town, we pulled over by beautiful Kluane Lake. We had never been down to the shore and while it added a bit of extra time to the trip, it was worth it to me. Ice cream was had in Haines Junction. We never get to go out for ice cream. The kids were over the moon.
Once in Whitehorse, we did a little road trip to Carcross, went to see a movie (HTTYD2), had a picnic while listening to live music at Art in the Park, went to the Farmer's Market (and had cupcakes) and more. More than once, I heard Noah say, " this is a very special day, isn't it Mommy?". 

Yes, it has been special. There may have been a bit of spoiling, but we don't usually get to do these things and I wanted the kids just to feel like it was a special time. Making summer memories is so worth it to me. 

The well-known poem by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken ends, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Two women, who became friends via the magic of the Internet, were both living life on roads less traveled by. Circumstance had them both live in Whitehorse for a short time, where they became best friends. Life's map has them currently in differing geographic locations, but their connection and camaraderie continue as they continue on paths of motherhood, friendship, creativity and discovery. The Two Roads Project is our effort to reconnect with each other and our inner artists on a weekly basis, each Friday. (Or thereabouts. We don't always know which day of the week it is).
Sarah writes here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh goody....I love comments!